Indoor Electrical Safety
Electricity can be deadly to you, your employees, and your customers. It pays to occasionally refresh your memory on some of the more basic electrical safety tips, like those below.
- Adhere to all electrical guidelines and requirements for your size and type of business.
- Maintain all fire extinguishers in proper working order.
- Do not run electrical wires or extension cords under carpets.
- Never try to handle energized bare or frayed wires.
- Make sure all electrical cords and adapters are UL-rated/inspected.
- Regularly inspect all electrical equipment, cords, and power supplies. Replace any damaged wiring or connectors.
- Before working on any electrical equipment or appliances, disconnect the power (e.g., opening the cover on a commercial printer/copier to fix a paper jam).
- Make sure all electrical devices, tools, electronics, and commercial equipment are kept away from moisture or water sources.
In the event of an electrical fire
- Dial 911. Alert the dispatcher that you are reporting an electrical fire or suspect an electrical fire. Why? Electrical fires are handled much differently from other types of fires.
- Never put water on an electrical fire. Instead, use a fire extinguisher or baking soda if it’s a small, contained fire.
- Do not try to extinguish large fires yourself.
Dealing with an electrical accident at work
- Unplug or turn off the power source.
- Never touch someone who is in contact with an electrical current/power source.
- Call 911 immediately.
- Electrical burns and injuries are not always visible, and can be internal. Do not touch burned skin. Small burns should be run under cold water. See a doctor or call for medical assistance should you suspect internal injuries or for severe burns on the skin.
- For a victim that is not breathing, call 911 immediately and begin rescue breathing or artificial respiration. For victims without a pulse, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) while you wait for help to arrive. Never approach a victim until you know for certain that the power source has been shut off or unplugged!