• A A A text size
  • print page


In order for PSNH to provide electric service to your property, you will need to sign an easement. Below are answers to commonly asked questions about PSNH easements and information on obtaining an easement.

What is an easement?
An easement is a privilege that you, the property owner, grant to PSNH (and sometimes the local telephone company) that allows us to use a part of your property to place and maintain the facilities needed to provide you with service. When you grant a service easement, you are not selling that part of your property to PSNH; however, your use of that portion of land is restricted in some ways. The easement will be recorded in the registry of deeds of the county in which your property is located. An easement does not expire. It remains connected to your land title unless is it released by PSNH.

What happens if I don’t sign the easement?
As outlined in the most current NHPUC Tariff (Electricity Delivery Service Tariff – Line Extensions – Customer Responsibilities), PSNH cannot provide permanent electric service to your property until the original easement document has been signed by you and returned to PSNH.

What is the process for getting an easement?
The attached application has specific instructions. Please complete the application and mail it along with your deed and tax map as soon as possible.

When all the required paperwork is received by our Construction Services Support Center (CSSC), it will be forwarded to the PSNH Real Estate Department for review. The Real Estate Department will draft the easement document and mail (or email) it to you.

You will need to sign the document before a Notary Public or Justice of the Peace. Once signed, you will need to return the original document to PSNH.

How long will this process take?
Once all of the required documents (Application, Deed, and Tax Map) are received by the PSNH Real Estate Department it can take up to 8 weeks to process. This depends on the time of year and whether or not any discrepancies are found when reviewing the paperwork.

What if I don’t have a copy of my deed?
You can obtain a copy of your deed from the registry of deeds of the county in which your property is located. The registry personnel will help you find the document if you are unfamiliar with the process. For your convenience, the addresses and phone numbers to all registries are printed on the back of this brochure.

What if PSNH has to install equipment on my neighbor’s property in order to access mine?
You will need to approach your neighbor and get permission from them to do so. They will also need to grant an easement to PSNH and the phone company. The details must be worked out between you and the neighbor. PSNH cannot negotiate for you.

Can I email you or fax my easement once it is signed?
You can to show that you’ve signed it. However, PSNH needs the original document in order to have it recorded at the registry of deeds. The easement requirement cannot be satisfied until we receive a recordable document.