• A A A text size
  • print page

New Construction FAQs

How do I request electric service?
To fill out a request, go to our online Work Management System, or contact our Construction Services Support Center at 1-800-362-PSNH (7764). Our technicians are available from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, except holidays. They will assign your project a "work request number" and receive from you detailed information about your project.

How much will it cost me to get electric service?
To provide you with an accurate estimate, we would have to visit the site. Under PSNH’s line-extension policy effective January 1, 2010, the company provides each customer with a dedicated pole-mounted transformer, if necessary; and an overhead service drop up to 125 feet; or a maximum footage of 125 feet for an underground service drop at no charge.

  • An overhead service drop is the final span of cable from a utility pole to a customer’s meter or point of attachment location, whichever is applicable.
  • An underground service drop is the final run of cable from a transformer or a secondary conductor located on PSNH’s distribution system to a customer’s meter.

Customers are responsible to pay the excess cost of Padmount transformers. The excess cost is the amount by which the cost of a Padmount transformer exceeds the cost of an equivalent pole-mounted transformer.

Any line extension beyond an overhead or underground service drop is subject to a line extension charge. PSNH shall be responsible for the construction and maintenance of the electrical distribution facilities, including line extensions, to serve the customer's premises. The charge for an overhead single-phase line extension constructed after April 1, 2014 is $21.54 per foot, and the charge for an underground single-phase line extension construction after April 1, 2014 is $15.37 per foot. It is also important to note that the customer will be responsible for the trenching and conduit and any other requirements identified in PSNH’s Requirements for Electric Service Connections for underground lines.

The line extension charge for three-phase line extensions or adding phases to existing facilities will be determined based on the customer-specific job requirements. Our field representatives would have to visit the site to provide you with a cost estimate.

All line-extension charges require a prepayment before PSNH will begin construction.

Who else do I need to contact?
Once you've chosen a telephone-service provider, contact that company as soon as possible. You will also need to inform other utilities (such as cable TV, water, sewer and gas companies) of your plans. Many cities and towns in New Hampshire require Inspection Requirements by Town for installations.  

Where can I pick up a meter socket?
You can arrange to pick up a meter socket at any of our area work center locations, or ask our field representatives to bring one with them when they visit your site. A work request number is required to obtain a meter socket at any of our locations.

Where can I get information on your requirements?
The field representative handling your job will be able to answer most of your questions. Additionally, our Requirements for Electric Service Connections Book can be viewed online. Construction Services Support Center technicians are available Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. to answer any further questions you may have at 1-800-362-PSNH (7764).

What information do I need when I call?
In addition to your name, address, and telephone number, our Construction Services Support Center technicians will ask for the names of your electrician or contractor and the job’s primary contact person's name. They will also ask for more technical information, such as the size of your new construction project, the size of your electrical load (will it include central air conditioning or large motors?), and the distance from your job site to the nearest electric lines. Our technicians will communicate this information to our field representatives, who will design your project with your requirements in mind.

When will I be contacted?
Once our Construction Services Support Center technicians have gathered the necessary information from you and assigned your project a work request number, our field representatives will generally attempt to contact you within two working days. In most instances our field representative will be able to design the job without meeting with you directly, but in some cases it may be necessary to meet with you on site.

Who can I contact in the local office?
Our field representatives are generally in the field performing job design and supervisory duties and will contact you as necessary throughout the job process. Should you need to get some information to your field representative, you may contact the Construction Services Support Center at 1-800-362-PSNH (7764), or by email, and we will see that your field representative receives the information. The Construction Services Support Center technicians will also be able to answer most of your questions and provide you with up-to-date schedule information.

If you didn't find an answer to your question, feel free to submit it here or contact us directly.