Teachers and parents play a key role in helping kids learn how to stay safe around electricity, and how to help protect the environment by using electricity efficiently. e-SMART uses games, videos, experiments, personal stories, activities, and written information to teach students the principles of electricity, the practices of electrical safety, and the importance of energy efficiency in protecting the environment.
This site is geared for a range of interests and learning levels, and can be used by students in elementary and middle schools. (Nonreaders will need the assistance of an adult for some activities.)
e-SMARTkids features seven interactive learning areas:
- Games—Learn to catch and drag electrons to a circuit to run an appliance, or design a race car and charge it with renewable energy.
- Get Safety-SMART!—Learn about the basics of electricity, how electricity can hurt you, what to do in an emergency, tree and power line safety, and how to stay safe around electricity. Students can also read a real-life story of what it’s like to survive an electrical shock, and earn their own Safety Certificate after completing the activities and using the learning tools.
- Get Energy-SMART!—Students can earn their own Energy Saver Certificate as they learn about such topics as energy basics, how to use energy efficiently, and how to help protect the environment with energy efficiency.
- Videos—Multimedia learning tools feature “The Shocking Truth About Electrical Safety” and “Kato’s Electrical Safety Video Game Adventure.”
- Ask An Expert—Got a question? Click on one of the listed frequently asked questions to see the answer.
- Home Inspections—Checklists to complete with an adult family member for ways to save household energy and identify home electrical hazards that need repairing.
- An Energy Glossary of common terms.
e-SMARTteachers features tools and tips that will assist e-SMARTkids in learning the basics of staying safe around electricity and of the importance of energy efficiency practices to protect the environment. In this section, teachers can:
- Find fun and useful experiments and activities that will help in providing a practical understanding of electric safety and energy efficiency—from completing a circuit to investigating your school’s energy habits.
- Download worksheets that help students review key safety and energy efficiency principles.
- Learn about PSNH’s teaching resources and classroom involvement—everything from instructional booklets to how to welcome one of our Energy Educators into your classroom.
e-SMARTparents is a resource for parents in assisting their children in the e-SMARTkids projects. You’ll find:
- An Energy Glossary of terms—the same one used by your child—to help them learn the essentials of electricity, electric safety, and energy efficiency.
- A link to your child’s Home Inspections checklists that let you work together to identify electrical safety hazards and energy efficiency opportunities around your home.